I just finished my FOWA talk, explaining the technologies of HTML5 that are making it possible to develop rich web apps. There are three things I should mention:
- London in a tube strike is not pretty, until you realise you’re in 28 Days Later, and suddenly it’s ace.
- I am posting my slides below. They are based on a slide framework that I trend to stitch and mend with each presentation. So they are still very alpha! But getting to be awesome for authoring. Also, I tend to use the biggest-size images available, so download may be slow.
- Thanks to Carsonified for doing an amazing job making sure everything was taken care of, and the crowd for their energy, and for actually making it in to the venue on this challenging day of travel.
In terms of questions, we had time for three – one was about which payment solutions are possible on the Web Store (any – it’s open – but the web store provides solutions which should help developers); one was about making native apps (Web Store doesn’t support native apps as such; but tools like PhoneGap let people create native apps targeting iPhone/Android/etc); and one was about whether Application Cache (and, I assume, other features under discussion in the presentation) are HTML5-specific versus Google-specific etc. I mentioned that I want to avoid the HTML5 debate in this talk and I’ll define it here as the spec and everything else going on around it. It’s a good point though to be clear that Application Cache and the other general technologies I discussed are based on open standards.
Twitter Feedback (via List Of Tweets:
- Amazing Google Chrome experiment site using #html5 goodness http://bit.ly/cRV3WQ #fowa Mon Oct 04 09:07:34 +0000 2010 from Jas
- Chrome App Store looks kinda cool. #fowa #google Mon Oct 04 09:18:13 +0000 2010 from jacksonj04
- payments for web apps – according to #google #fowa chrome app store is the solution http://bit.ly/a7rBot Mon Oct 04 09:21:54 +0000 2010 from timanderson
- Whoa! Proper geek exodus to Michael Mahemoff’s HTML5 talk at #Fowa Mon Oct 04 08:46:54 +0000 2010 from Jas
- Huge welcome from a packed room at #FOWA for @mahemoff Mon Oct 04 08:48:47 +0000 2010 from sammachin
- apps are not applications say Michael Mahemoff #google #fowa Mon Oct 04 08:49:05 +0000 2010 from timanderson
- HTML 5 talk by @mahemoff from Google #fowa #yam Mon Oct 04 08:50:25 +0000 2010 from WebAndTech
- Good talk so far at #fowa by @mahemoff about concepts of building apps with HTML5. #ux #security Mon Oct 04 08:54:19 +0000 2010 from codepo8
- RT @codepo8: Good talk so far at #fowa by @mahemoff about concepts of building apps with HTML5. #ux #security Mon Oct 04 08:55:03 +0000 2010 from mheap
- #fowa @mahemoff pumping on stage – good talk http://twitpic.com/2uk56j Mon Oct 04 08:55:32 +0000 2010 from codepo8
- RT @codepo8: #fowa @mahemoff pumping on stage – good talk http://twitpic.com/2uk56j Mon Oct 04 08:56:44 +0000 2010 from Paul_Kinlan
- Christian Heilmann: Good talk so far at #fowa by @mahemoff about concepts of building apps with HTML5. #ux #security: http://bit.ly/aRzGgm Mon Oct 04 08:56:59 +0000 2010 from __UBI__
- #Fowa #Mahemoff “the proof is in the pudding” what does that mean? Mon Oct 04 08:57:11 +0000 2010 from llaisdy
- Suffering catastrophic sense of humour failure as it looks like I’ll miss @mahemoff’s session at #fowa. £#^$ you, London transport. Mon Oct 04 08:58:38 +0000 2010 from philhawksworth
- HTML5: The Platform Apps Have Been Waiting For – Michael Mahemoff – Google. http://twitpic.com/2uk62j Mon Oct 04 09:00:43 +0000 2010 from lewisking
- Michael Mahemoff (Google) HTML5 web apps: #NewTwitter, Gmail on iPad, and lots of new games and now even video. Even fonts. #FOWA Mon Oct 04 09:00:57 +0000 2010 from Hagoleshet
- Michael Mahemoff giving his talk on html5 using http://www.html5rocks.com/ at #FOWA Mon Oct 04 09:04:38 +0000 2010 from kaosbeat
- The Wilderness Downtown explained… Getting great ideas from @mahemoff http://ow.ly/2NV7N #FOWA #yam Mon Oct 04 09:06:49 +0000 2010 from WebAndTech
- @mahemoff recommends studying local storage API for prototyping so you don’t need to work with servers when doing quick hacks #fowa #easy Mon Oct 04 09:13:45 +0000 2010 from kaosbeat
- Props to @mahemoff for being the first to skirt around the definition of #html5 at #fowa. Let’s #focus Mon Oct 04 09:18:14 +0000 2010 from codepo8
- 4 things web apps need according to #google #fowa: local storage, application cache ,locally installable, payments Mon Oct 04 09:13:40 +0000 2010 from timanderson